Oakwood Self-Directed Walking Tour

A Walking Tour of Historic Oakwood

A Brief History of Oakwood

Oakwood grew from woods and fields on Raleigh’s northeastern edge into the city’s fashionable streetcar suburb between the 1870s and the early 1900s, then slid into decades of decline after World War I. When the State moved to level the neighborhood for an expressway in the 1960s, residents fought back, founded the Society for the Preservation of Historic Oakwood in 1972, and won historic-district protection. Today Oakwood is North Carolina’s largest intact 19th-century residential neighborhood.

Neighborhood Map

Map of the Historic Oakwood neighborhood from the center of the brochure

North Bloodworth Street

6 North Bloodworth StreetTheophilus H. Snow House c.1840

This is the oldest house in Oakwood. It was built for Theophilus Snow, who made some of the original furniture for the State Capitol. The house originally faced New Bern Avenue; it was turned to face Bloodworth Street in 1915; the porch was replaced at that time.

10 North Bloodworth StreetCarroll-Turner House c.1913

This two-story was built for printer Ernest Carroll. In 1976 it became the home of Frank Turner, who became the first black at-large member of the Raleigh City Council.

116 North Bloodworth StreetAlexander Fleming House 1907

Fleming, a real estate broker, built this fine cottage with columns, and a window/vent in the attic.

117 North Bloodworth StreetFall-Broughton-Norwood House 1877

This house was owned by Needham B. Broughton, founder of Edwards & Broughton printing company, state senator, and trustee of Baptist Female (now Meredith) and Wake Forest Colleges and N.C. Agricultural & Mechanical College (now N.C. State University). Broughton’s bookbinder George T. Norwood bought the house in 1907

123 North Bloodworth StreetMargaret Monie House c.1877

This house (so called because of the at each end, and a third gable in the middle) was built for John and Margaret Monie. He was a Scottish immigrant and merchant. The columns on the porch were added in c.1920.

222 North Bloodworth StreetLee & Broughton Grocery c.1901

This building served as a neighborhood grocery until 1980. The southern end was originally a stable.

223-225 North Bloodworth StreetDavis Drug Store Building c.1912

The section on the corner was built in 1912 to serve as Davis Drug Store. The other two sections were added in 1916 to serve as a grocery and a butcher shop. Notice the and . The Coca-Cola advertisement on the Lane Street side was painted in 1953. All three sections are now the Side Street Restaurant, operated since 1979 by Mary Lu Wooten.

302 North Bloodworth StreetLee-Horton House c.1902

This house was built for Ed Hugh Lee, a grocer, clothing merchant, and real estate dealer. It is a fine example of the style; the porch has , a polygonal roof, and a curved corner.

304 North Bloodworth StreetMartha Keith House 1893

This cottage has , a , and staggered wooden shingles in the .

411 North Bloodworth StreetStrong-Stronach House c.1871

This house was built by prominent contractor Thomas H. Briggs for George V. Strong, a lawyer, judge, and member of the N.C. General Assembly. The house has a roof with a wide on each side, and paired under the . Note the four elaborate chimneys.

414 North Bloodworth StreetWright-Stronach House 1879

This was originally a simple house. In 1886 merchant and city alderman Frank Stronach (Alexander’s brother) bought it and soon thereafter transformed it into a grand and unique house by adding elements: the tall central projection with a balcony and a carved “” in the , the

421 North Bloodworth StreetPullen-Hicks-Morson House c.1870

This elegant cottage is the first of fourteen houses built in Oakwood for developer and philanthropist Richard Stanhope Pullen. In the 1880s this was the residence of Hugh Morson, principal of the Raleigh Male Academy, and later first principal of Raleigh High School.

425 North Bloodworth StreetPullen-Tillinghast-Douglass House c.1870

R. S. Pullen also built this house. It was originally a simple house; David R. Tillinghast remodeled it in the style in the 1890s. He was a teacher at the “Deaf Dumb and Blind Institute;” he and his wife Caroline were deaf themselves.

513 North Bloodworth StreetDouglass-Wheeler House c.1924

This brick bears these hallmarks of the style: tails and diagonal braces under deep , (tapered) square posts on brick , a , and windows with four vertical panes over a single pane.

515 North Bloodworth StreetMargaret Weir House 1892

This house was built for William and Margaret Weir; he was an Irish-born stone contractor. The roof has bands of and rectangular shingles.

518 North Bloodworth StreetPatterson-Haynes House 1899

This was the home of Louisa Bunker Haynes, daughter of Chang Bunker, one of the original Siamese twins. Chang and his conjoined twin Eng had settled near Mt. Airy, N.C., and fathered 21 children.

525 North Bloodworth StreetGeorge Washington Mordecai House c.1916

This fine house has diagonal siding in the and porch , and 12-over-1 windows. Mordecai was a supervisor with the Norfolk & Southern Railway.

526 North Bloodworth StreetOwen Odum House c.1924

This perfect was built for schoolteacher Owen Odum.

601 North Bloodworth StreetAnna Ball Stronach House c.1878

Prominent contractor Thomas H. Briggs built this house for William Carter Stronach and Anna Ball Stronach. “W.C.” was a son of the Scottish stonemason who helped build the Capitol, and was a merchant, banker, developer, and first superintendent of the Old Soldiers’ Home.

605 North Bloodworth StreetThomas-Panton-Mordecai House c.1920

This late house shows the influence of the of architecture in its shallowly-pitched without an , and its grouped windows. First resident Harrison Panton was an electrical engineer with Carolina Power & Light.

721 North Bloodworth StreetJohn M. Sherwood House c.1887

This house was built for banker John Sherwood. Notice the wonderful roof and double front door. The interior ceilings are thirteen feet high.

800 North Bloodworth StreetBriggs-Argo-Aycock House c.1881

This fine house was built by Thomas H. Briggs for his son Fabius. It was purchased in 1902 by Thomas Munro Argo, member of the N.C. General Assembly and founder of the N.C. Bar Association.

North Boundary Street

311 North Boundary StreetL. Bruce Powers House c.1922

This Georgian Revival house has classical details but is simple and symmetrical in form, in contrast to earlier houses. A in the center and a porch on the side were hallmarks of the style. Powers was a pharmacist.

314 North Boundary StreetJ. Paul Robertson House c.1929

This charming 1¾ - story house of Wake County stone was built for real estate dealer J. Paul Robertson.

315 North Boundary StreetLewis-Fort House c.1877

This is one of eleven houses in Oakwood built for prominent developer Julius Lewis. Sisters Selina and Emily Fort were the first residents; their family lived here until 1959. Notice the decorative tails and the rectangular .

316 North Boundary StreetHenry J. Stockard House c.1906

Stockard was president of Peace Institute (now William Peace University) and a minor poet. Notice the window in the and the plasterwork detail in the entry .

318 North Boundary StreetEllen Mordecai House c.1874

Ellen Mordecai was the daughter of prominent landowner Moses Mordecai. She dictated a delightful book about the Mordecai family. Her son Samuel Fox Mordecai II became first dean of the Duke University Law School. The house features columns, a over the front door, and .

415 North Boundary StreetA. L. Murray Grocery c.1921

This was built as a grocery store with attached apartment. It had many names over the years: the Bon Ton, the Blue Star, Watson’s, and the T&C.

515 North Boundary StreetMordecai-Leavister House c.1912

Thomas O. Leavister, the first resident, was proprietor of Leavister’s Pharmacy, now Person St. Pharmacy. Notice the shingle roof.

525 North Boundary StreetJohn H. Henderlite House c.1908

Henderlite was a railroad engineer. The stone wall at the front of the yard was built soon after the house.

600 block of North Boundary Street

On the north side of the block is a beautifully preserved row of from the 1920s.

North East Street

14-16 North East StreetMontague-Marshall House c.1915

This fine brick house was built as a . Notice the tan brick , and the attic window.

102 North East StreetHilliard Williams House c.1868

Williams was an African-American carpenter, and built this house for his own family. It is the third-oldest house in Oakwood. Williams’s descendants lived here until 1922.

107 North East StreetLaura Markham House c.1913

This house is in the form known as “foursquare,” typified by its cubical shape, four openings on the front, four rooms on each floor, and a with a . It was a popular form in the early 20th century.

112 North East StreetSamuel Glass House 1916

Glass, a Jewish clothing merchant and delicatessen owner, built this grand house about ten years after he immigrated from Latvia with his son Benjamin. His wife Sadie arrived in the U.S. a few years later. Four more children were born here. The Glass family spoke Russian, Yiddish, and English. Notice the windows around the door.

118 North East StreetMaynard-McKee House 1908

The first residents of this house were John Sasser McKee and his wife Elizabeth. He was a young physician who had been the head coach of the football team at the “N.C. College of Agriculture & Mechanic Arts” (now N.C. State University). In 1915 he became head of the Raleigh Board of Health. Notice the oval foyer window.

215 North East StreetMebane-Stein House c.1897

State Superintendent of Public Instruction Charles Mebane built this cottage, with a window, and siding in the . He sold it to Dixie, Nellie and Bertha Stein in 1900. They were dressmakers, and lived here until 1941.

218 North East StreetHeck-Pool-Parker House c.1875

Jonathan M. Heck, a Colonel in the Civil War, became a major developer of Oakwood. Architect George S. H. Appleget designed this and two similar houses nearby facing Jones St., after designing Heck’s mansion at 309 N. Blount St. These are superb examples of the style.

407 and 409 North East StreetStronach shotgun houses c.1898

” houses were only one room wide and several rooms deep. One could fire a shot in the front door, and it would travel through each room before exiting the rear. This was a way to fit two houses on a single lot, before or apartments existed in Raleigh.

412 North East StreetW. Fenner McDowell House c.1888

McDowell was a blacksmith for the Raleigh & Gaston Railroad. He died in 1918 and his widow added the columns and around the front door. The alley on the right leads to Elm Street.

415 North East StreetStanford Nichols House c.1874

This house was originally located at the corner of N. East and Polk Sreets. In 1889 the Daughters of the Confederacy established in it the “Soldiers Home” for homeless Civil War veterans. There were five inmates; in 1891 a larger Soldiers’ Home was opened on New Bern Ave.

504 North East StreetHeilig-Woodard House c.1898

Illustration of the Heilig-Woodard House, 504 N. East Street
504 N. East Street

This cottage was built for railroad engineer Harris J. Heilig, famous for his record-breaking speed of 90 miles per hour. Notice the very steep with projecting , under which are shallow windows. The octagonal tower is topped with a roof and a .

516 North East StreetStronach-Bryant House c.1879

First resident Thomas Bryant was a butcher; his wife Martha kept milk cows and their daughter Pattie was a seamstress. This charming cottage is typical of the North Carolina style, with a and on the porch.

517 North East StreetDavis-Dixon House 1903

This cottage was built for widow Lula Davis at a cost of $1,785. The porch has its own octagonal roof topped with a .

534 North East StreetLambert-Shepard House 1924

This has unusual woodwork in the style. Paul and Sophia Shepard were the first residents; he was an engineer for the railroad.

535 North East StreetOakwood Common 1991

The residents of Oakwood raised the money to buy the land for this park, and did much of the work of installing the fence, play equipment, and landscaping.

624 North East StreetHenry H. Nowell House c.1922

This house is in the style, with a roof, siding and a sunroom. It has 64 windows and doors. Nowell was a furniture merchant; his wife Virginia was a developer.

706 North East StreetW. Ernest Holland House c.1925

This was built for W. Ernest Holland, chief of the Raleigh Fire Department. The house was ordered from the Sterling Homes catalog, and arrived in numbered pieces with instructions. The name of the model was “Avondale.”

Elm Street

218 Elm StreetMoore-Stringfield House c.1895

In 1899 this house became the home of Baptist minister O. L. Stringfield and his wife and seven children. Their son Lamar Stringfield was the founder and first conductor of the North Carolina Symphony.

“Pullen Town” 1886-1889
401, 404, 408, 410, 411, 415, and 416, also 519 Oakwood Ave. (around the corner)

Illustration of a Pullen Town house, 408 Elm Street
408 Elm Street

These houses were built by developer and philanthropist Richard Stanhope Pullen, who also donated the land for N.C. Agricultural & Mechanical College (now N.C. State University) and Pullen Park. The exterior walls are three bricks thick.

523 Elm StreetJasper D. Capps House c.1939

This house is in the English Cottage style, as evidenced by the steep curving roof line, arched doorway, and tapering chimney.

East Jones Street

304 East Jones StreetLewis-Joyner House 1878

Built for prominent developer Julius Lewis, this eclectic gem combines several architectural styles. From the Stick style comes the large diagonal and the profusion of siding types, including diamond shingles on the tower, board-and-batten in the , and diagonal siding over some windows.

316 East Jones StreetHill-Morson House c.1877

Illustration of the Hill-Morson House, 316 East Jones Street
316 East Jones Street

This house was built for U.S. Marshal Joshua Hill; it was originally of 1½ stories. In 1911 the house was bought by Hugh Morson, founding principal of the Raleigh Male Academy and then Raleigh High School, the first public high school in the city.

320 East Jones StreetMonie-Sanderford House c.1911

James M. Kennedy, architect of the City Market and Murphey School, designed this fine house, with columns, a supported by , windows in the , and , and an oval window on the right side.

327 East Jones StreetFrederick W. Habel House 1894

Habel was in charge of sales for A.D. Royster candy manufacturers. His house is a masterpiece of the style, with a two-story , and a steeply-pitched roof with alternating bands of and rectangular shingles. The paint colors are original.

401 East Jones StreetWhitelaw-Boushall House 1876

This house was built for John Whitelaw, a Scottish-born stone contractor specializing in tombstones; he also built the stone tower of Christ Church downtown. This house was originally a simple rectangular house.

409 East Jones StreetYoung-Dowell House c.1901

This house was built for plumber and small-time developer William J. Young. He then built five other houses on this block. In the early 1920s this was the home of Horace Kirby “Saxie” Dowell, who became a popular jazz saxophonist, bandleader and composer. His biggest hits were “Three Little Fishes” and “Playmate, Come Out and Play with Me.”

503 East Jones StreetHeck-Lee House & 511 Heck-Wynne House c.1874

Illustration of the Heck-Lee and Heck-Wynne Houses, 511 East Jones Street
511 East Jones Street

Colonel Jonathan McGee Heck made a fortune manufacturing bayonets during the Civil War, then became a major developer of Oakwood. He built these houses and the similar house at 218 N. East. The architect was George S. H. Appleget, who had already designed Heck’s mansion at 309 N. Blount St.

504 East Jones StreetWiley-Cameron-Gatling House c.1871

This house was built by prominent contractor Thomas H. Briggs for banker Philip A. Wiley. Francis Hawks Cameron, President of the N.C. Life Insurance Company, bought it in 1878. The Maynard-Gatling-Hutchins family owned it from 1903 to 2008. The roof is original.

516 East Jones StreetThompson-Anderson-Allen-Robertson House c.1851

This is the second-oldest and largest house in Oakwood. It was originally about half its current size, and sided in clapboards. It was built for William Thompson, who made the mahogany furniture for the House and Senate chambers in the State Capitol.

521 East Jones StreetThomas B. Wilkinson House c.1911

This house exemplifies the later phase of the , with its symmetrical design, large columns, and and around the front door.

525 East Jones StreetFrankie L. Clark House c.1902

This house was built for and tile roofing contractor Moses Clark and his wife Frankie. features include the with , the window, and the balcony of a type often called “.” Sleeping in the fresh air was recommended for people with consumption (the old name for tuberculosis).

528 East Jones StreetThomas B. Moseley House c.1894

Moseley was an insurance and real estate broker. The house was originally simpler; Moseley later embellished it with columns and windows in the and . He died here in 1944. The by the street has “Moseley” engraved on it.

530 East Jones StreetAndrew Syme House c.1874

This house is a typical North Carolina house of the period, with elaborate on the porch. Original owner Syme sold fire insurance. In 1888 Melville and Sallie Broughton moved here; their sixth child J. Melville Broughton Jr. grew up to become Governor of the state, then a U.S. Senator.

534 East Jones StreetHenry M. Farnsworth House c.1885

Many houses in Oakwood originally had wooden shingle roofs similar to this. Notice also the flamboyant on the porch, a North Carolina specialty of the period.

541 East Jones StreetGeorge Kaplan House 1924

Kaplan and his wife Miriam were Jewish immigrants from Russia. He was a jeweler and haberdasher with a shop downtown. This is sided with and has a second-story sun room. Houses with this feature were called “aeroplane bungalows” -- the sunroom resembles an airplane cockpit.

542 East Jones StreetHufham-Polk House c.1876

Leonidas L. Polk was appointed N.C.’s first Commissioner of Agriculture by Governor Zebulon Vance in 1877 and moved here with wife and six daughters. He later helped found what are now N.C. State University and Meredith College.

East Lane Street

321 East Lane StreetHorton-Walters House c.1895

Illustration of the Horton-Walters House, 321 East Lane Street
321 East Lane Street

Prominent contractor Thomas H. Briggs built this cottage with its ornate woodwork for merchant and developer R. L. Horton. The next year Horton sold the house to Julius Faison, a doctor at the Insane Asylum. He gave it to his daughter Laura Faison Walters as a wedding present.

323 East Lane StreetRobert Lee Horton House c.1899

This , also built for merchant R. L. Horton, features and , a , and siding in the and between the first and second stories. It is topped by a steep roof. Horton opened grocery stores and a clothing store, and built five houses in the vicinity.

406 East Lane StreetWilliam J. Hawkins Carriage House c.1879

This was originally the for the William Hawkins Mansion, which stood on the northeast corner of Blount and North Streets. The carriage house was rolled on logs to its current site in 1913 and converted to a residence.

411 and 415 East Lane StreetHorton Double-Deckers 1913

R. L. Horton built these houses as , with one large apartment on each floor. They were the first duplexes in Oakwood, and therefore controversial. Their two-story porches are supported by huge columns on brick .

500 and 600 blocks of East Lane Street

In the first half of the 20th Century, these two blocks were home to many Jewish merchants and their families, earning the area the nickname “Little Jerusalem.” Most were immigrants from eastern Europe.

512 East Lane StreetGuirkin-Pizer House c.1919

The first residents of this were William and Sadie Pizer, Jewish immigrants from Poland. He and his brother opened Pizer Brothers, a ladies clothing store downtown.

523 East Lane StreetFriedlander-Iverson House c.1920

Isador Friedlander was secretary-treasurer of Kline & Lazarus Department Store. This superb has fine Craftsman-style windows and a long unsupported span across the front porch.

525 East Lane StreetHunnicutt-Lazarus House c.1913

This fine house features columns, fine “clamshell” siding, and hexagonal-paned windows. First owner Fabius Hunnicutt was a sidewalk paving contractor; second owner Goodman Lazarus – another Jewish immigrant -- was co-owner of Kline & Lazarus Department Store.

601 East Lane StreetOgden-Kline House 1909

Jewish immigrant Jacob Kline was Lazarus’ brother-in-law and co-owner of Kline & Lazarus Department Store. Notice the wooden shingle roof, a reproduction of the original. 602, 606, and 610 Edwards Foursquares c.1912 These three houses were built for Cornelius B. Edwards, co-owner of Edwards and Broughton printing

603 East Lane StreetJohn Herbert Buffaloe House c.1910

Notice the beautiful etched glass in the door showing the house number.

701 East Lane StreetCash Grocery c.1908

This was Raleigh’s longest operating grocery. The section on the right was the owner’s residence. Widow Fannie Richardson ran the store from 1911 to 1932; her sons delivered the groceries. The Pepsi sign on the left side was painted in 1973.

Linden Avenue

207 Linden AvenueWharton-Fields House c.1906

This cottage was built for prominent photographer Cyrus P. Wharton, who had a studio on Fayetteville St. The house originally stood on Boylan Avenue. It was moved here in 2007 by the Society for the Preservation of Historic Oakwood, to save it from demolition.

217 Linden AvenueIda Stonebanks House c.1892

This cottage was the first house on Linden Ave. It was built for Conrad and Ida Stonebanks; he was the barkeep at the Yarborough House, a fashionable hotel on Fayetteville St.

221 and 225 Linden AvenueEdwards Cottages c.1912

These superb cottages were built for printer and developer Cornelius B. Edwards. Note the window/vents in the and the roofs with tin .

309 Linden AvenueCaroline G. Teachey House c.1925

This house has the typical roof. Caroline Teachey had a clothing store on Fayetteville St.; her father lived with her; he was city superintendent of streets.

314 Linden AvenueVallie Henderson Park 1976

This little park was established by the Society for the Preservation of Historic Oakwood and the Oakwood Garden Club as a memorial to the lady who led both organizations.

New Bern Avenue

412 New Bern AvenueAlma F. Dickson House c.1921

This house was purchased as a kit from the Aladdin house catalog; the model was the “Shadow Lawn.” It has very deep supported by large , and original stained wooden shingle siding on the second story. The porch extends to form a on the left side.

415 New Bern AvenueVivian E. Denton House c.1912

This house has a grand wrap-around porch forming a on the left side. There is in the and around the front door.

Oakwood Avenue

304 Oakwood AvenueMarcellus Parker House 1879

Prominent contractor Thomas Briggs built this grand home for 34-year-old cotton broker Marcellus Parker. Its windows and double front door are arched in the style. The porch posts are and have elaborate .

312 Oakwood AvenueThomas F. Wilson House 1895

Wilson was a conductor for the Seaboard railroad. Notice the window, and sawtooth wooden shingle siding in the . Both are typical features of architecture.

317 Oakwood AvenueWilliams-Primrose House c.1908

This house and the three adjacent houses were built for Miriam Carson Williams, president of the State National Bank. She was America’s first female bank president.

318 Oakwood AvenueMelissa V. Bingham House 1879

This charming cottage was the first house completed on Oakwood Ave. It was built for Melissa and Benjamin Bingham; he was a tobacco manufacturer.

326 Oakwood AvenueRobert C. Rivers House 1895

This cottage was built for Rivers, an immigrant from England. He managed the Metropolitan Opera House and the Academy of Music, both downtown.

412 Oakwood AvenueCharles B. Hart House c.1901

This masterpiece was built for hardware merchant Charles B. Hart, and his father Charles A. Hart, a “capitalist.” It was designed by prominent Raleigh architect Charles W. Barrett. It cost $3600 to build, a large sum at the time.

508 Oakwood AvenueLeander Partin House c.1895

Partin was a flagman with the Seaboard Railroad. This perfect cottage has a , a popular feature in Raleigh. The double front door has a .

512 Oakwood AvenueAngier-McClary House c.1900

This cottage has , vents in the three , and a copper roof on the porch. Here Mrs. Jernigan shot and killed her husband in 1994.

515 Oakwood AvenueLove-Goodwin House c.1894

This cottage was built for Egbert and Martha Love. He was a dealer in hides and furs. In 1898 they built the larger house next door at 511, and rented this house to Charles A. Goodwin, a stonecutter for the Raleigh Marble Works, and his large family. In the 1980s this was the home of Hall-of-Fame pitcher Gaylord Perry.

526 Oakwood AvenueWilliam P. Clements House c.1894

Clements was a conductor with the Seaboard Railroad. Notice the charming stick-style porch posts, , , and under the . The metal roof dates to c.1916.

530 Oakwood AvenueDrewry-Edgerton-Henderson House 1897

This house was built for John C. Drewry, an insurance broker, minor developer, member of the Raleigh Board of Aldermen, president of the Chamber of Commerce, and later a state senator.

701 Oakwood AvenueOakwood Cemetery 1867

The oldest portion of the Cemetery is the Confederate burial ground, established in 1867 on land donated by Henry Mordecai. Here lie 1,390 Civil War soldiers; most of their graves are marked with identical marble stones. In 1870, 36 acres were added and the name Oakwood Cemetery was adopted.

Illustration of a house at 411 Oakwood Avenue
411 Oakwood Avenue

Pell Street

This tiny narrow street, with no verge between the sidewalk and street, has a European charm.

North Person Street

100 North Person StreetBlowe’s Esso Station c.1938

This was originally a gas station. It is in the style, as evidenced by the siding and red tile roofs between ornamental turrets.

116 North Person StreetMarshall-Harris-Richardson House c. 1901

This fantasy has and windows, a window in the large , in the gables in all the gables, inspired by the English Renaissance, and two different types of .

400 North Person StreetHall-Hunter House 1892

This house was built for Rev. James J. Hall, pastor of Tabernacle Baptist Church. It was originally a simpler house. Carey J. Hunter purchased the house in 1893; he was an insurance agent and developer. In 1908 he had the house remodeled with a unique blend of forms and details.

401 North Person StreetLamar-Brown House 1896

This house is a showcase of forms and woodwork. The porch features with pierced and a , and a unique with both raised and turned woodwork. Wooden shingles adorn the .

407 North Person StreetEmily J. Woodell House c.1905

This unique 1½-story has two half-dormers sided in wooden shingles. It was built for Emily and Burwell Woodell; he was Grand Secretary of the N.C. Order of Odd Fellows.

408 North Person StreetLucretia B. Jones House c.1872

This is among the oldest houses in Oakwood. The elaborate on the porch is typical of the better North Carolina farmhouses of that period. This house was built for Robert and Lucretia Jones; he was a wholesale grocer. From 1886 until c.1895 this was the home of Zacharias and Louisa Haynes.

418 North Person StreetGarland S. Tucker House 1914

Illustration of the Garland S. Tucker House, 418 North Person Street
418 North Person Street

Tucker established a chain of furniture stores. He had prominent architect James M. Kennedy design this house, Raleigh’s finest surviving masterpiece of the . It is perfectly symmetrical. Huge columns support a two-story semicircular behind which is a one-story porch with a balcony.

426 North Person StreetHoke-Broughton House 1872

This house was built for Robert F. Hoke, North Carolina’s most celebrated Civil War general, and then an insurance, railroad and mining executive. From 1884 to 1901 this was the home of Needham B. Broughton, founder of Edwards & Broughton printing company, state senator, president of the N.C. Anti-Saloon League, and

504 North Person StreetMajor John Cox Winder House c.1875

This house was built for John C. and Octavia Winder. Major Winder was a manager of two railroads, and a former engineer for the Confederacy. Typical Italianate features include the wide on each side, the ornate under the , the hooded windows, and the arched recessed doorway.

506 North Person StreetOctavia Winder Skinner House c.1905

This fine house was built for Octavia Winder Skinner, twice-widowed daughter of Major John Cox Winder & Octavia Winder of 504 N. Person St. Octavia Skinner was an author best known for the novel An Arresting Voice.

522 North Person StreetStronach-Robbins House c.1894

This cottage has decorative bargeboards in the , with trefoil cut-outs.

Polk Street

304 Polk StreetRufus T. Coburn House c.1926

This brick and house is in the style, as typified by the roof.

315 Polk StreetMeyer Dworsky House c.1920

This is Oakwood’s finest , with stone columns, brick and wooden-shingle siding, and a roof. Note also the Craftsman-style windows, knee braces and tails under the , and an unusual tiny on the left side. Meyer and his brother Solomon owned Dworsky’s Jewelry Store downtown.

319 Polk StreetAnnie S. Bailey House c.1896

This cottage has an unusual of diamond-shaped on the porch, siding in the , and small panes of in the front door and windows.

325 Polk StreetJustice Walter Clark House c.1896

Walter Clark had been a Major in the Confederate army at age 17. He served as Chief Justice of the N. C. Supreme Court from 1903 to 1924, and drew up the bill proposing “Esse quam videri” as the state motto of North Carolina. He had this house built for his mother and three sisters.

400 Polk StreetSilas Lucas House c.1914

This fine house has supported by carved . The front door has and with . Here was filmed much of the 1993 movie The Portrait, starring Gregory Peck and Lauren Bacall.

407 and 409 Polk StreetMichael A. Moser Houses c.1907 and c.1910

Illustration of the Michael A. Moser Houses, 409 Polk Street
409 Polk Street

Moser was a prominent building contractor; he built the Pilot Cotton Mill and the Church of the Good Shepherd. He first built the one-story house on the corner lot, then moved it to its present location, and built the two-story house. He really wanted to live on the corner!

500 Polk StreetParker-McDonald House c.1898

This house has a steep roof sheathed in , and siding in the and between the first and second stories.

501 Polk StreetHarris J. Heilig House c.1913

This masterpiece was built for railroad engineer Harris J. Heilig, famous for his record-breaking speed of 90 miles per hour. The porch has seventeen coupled and tripled on stone-capped brick . The elaborate entrance faces the corner.

502 Polk StreetAlcott-Thompson House c.1890

This cottage was built for Wayne and Ernestine Allcott. They briefly ran a grocery store in the left side of the house. In 1900 this was the home of N.C. Secretary of State Cyrus Thompson and his wife and eight children, his sister, and two servants.

513 Polk StreetSchiveley-Toon House c.1888

This house was built for David L. Schively, superintendent of the Raleigh National Cemetery and Methodist minister. Thomas Fentress Toon, former Civil War general, moved here in 1900 after being elected State Superintendent of Public Instruction in 1900. He died here in 1902. The window frames and the

515 Polk StreetCharles Wesley Young House c.1886

Thomas H. Briggs built this charming cottage for Young, a grocer. Young committed suicide in 1910, leaving his widow Margaret with seven children. Daughter Ethel died here in 1988 at age 103. Her sister Emily lived here until 1989.

516 Polk StreetPullen-Bashford House c.1879

This house was among fourteen built in Oakwood for Richard Stanhope Pullen. He sold it in 1885 to bookkeeper Thomas J. Bashford. His grandson Thomas G. Bashford grew up here, served on the Raleigh City Council, and helped to defeat the plan to build an expressway through the center of Oakwood.

517 Polk StreetAsa B. Forrest House 1881

This house was built by Thomas H. Briggs for Asa and Betsy Forrest. He was the superintendent of Oakwood Cemetery from 1874 until his death in 1920, and was responsible for its development and beautification.

519 Polk StreetMortimer E. Forrest House c.1911

Asa and Betsy Forrest had this cottage built for their son. The has shingles and tin . The porch has coupled on brick . Mortimer’s wife Stella led the formation of the Oakwood Garden Club in 1950. She died here in 1983.

520 Polk StreetS. Webb Holloway House c.1921

This house was built for S. Webb Holloway, a furniture repairman and cabinet maker. His shop was in the large building in the back yard. 

Guided Tours

Candlelight Tour

The Historic Oakwood Candlelight Tour® is held the second full weekend of December. Tour goers are treated to docent-led interior tours of a dozen Oakwood properties dressed for the holidays. This is the only tour in which private homes are open to the public and is the primary funding source for the SPHO. Tickets are required and go on sale in early November. Visit the Historic Oakwood website for more information.

Garden Tour and Tea

The Oakwood Garden Club hosts an annual Garden Tour and Tea in late April or early May. After a traditional Victorian Tea, tour goers are taken on a guided tour of several Oakwood Gardens. Hats are encouraged.

Ghost and Haunted Tours

Several other groups and organizations host “haunted”, “scary” or “ghost” tours of the neighborhood and/or cemetery in October. Google or visit the Oakwood Facebook page to find out more.

Credits

The SPHO is a 501c3 non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and protection of Historic Oakwood. If you enjoyed visiting Oakwood and using this brochure, please consider making a small donation at HistoricOakwood.org and follow us on Facebook

  • Text by: Matthew M. Brown, SPHO Historian
  • Design by: Rex Michael, Cybergraph Advertising, Inc.
  • House Illustrations: Lydia Welch and Pamela Shank
  • Special thanks to historian Bruce Miller

Cover image: C. Drie, “Bird’s Eye View of the City of Raleigh, North Carolina,” 1872 — Oakwood Cemetery at upper left. Library of Congress.